How Keyless Entry Vehicles Can Lead to Carbon Monoxide Deaths |
Broward: 954-572-7200 | Miami-Dade: 305-949-7100 | Palm Beach: 561-833-5544

News / Blog

How Keyless Entry Vehicles Can Lead to Carbon Monoxide Deaths

carbon monoxide poisoning floridaIn recent years, the automobile industry has shown immense growth and aimed to bring comfort and convenience to our lives. This technological shift has brought luxury and ease but potentially at the cost of our health and safety. While these improved vehicles are ideally designed to ensure safety, some of the advancements such as keyless ignition designs have resulted in life threatening hazards.

Of course, no driver would intend to leave the car on, yet there have been several cases when the driver accidentally forgot to hit the start/stop button and the engine does not shut off automatically. Therefore, carbon monoxide comes gushing out of the tailpipe, seeping into your driveway or garage and home. Carbon Monoxide is a poisonous, toxic gas that even in the smallest quantity can harm the human body, leading to angina (chest pain), respiratory failure, nausea, fatigue, vision disorders, and sometimes even death.

Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer. According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, every year the United States reports more than 400 human deaths and 50,000 emergency room visits due to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. The numbers are steadily increasing and this is certainly alarming. Research also reports that many of these cases occur at home and due to keyless entry vehicles. This may seem absurd, but yes, car engines left on in the garage can be fatal.

If you leave a car running in your garage, it shouldn’t immediately result in carbon monoxide poisoning. But in many cases, the person who installed the air conditioning unit in your home may not have sealed it properly to prevent chemicals from entering your home. Fumes can enter the AC unit and spread through the home through an improperly sealed unit. That’s why in many cases of carbon monoxide related deaths, the AC installer can actually be responsible.

Tips to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in South Florida

There are certain safety measures that can protect us and our loved ones from CO poisoning. The key element is to find the symptoms of CO Poisoning and keep ourselves aware of our surroundings.

  • Never leave your vehicle running, especially when it is parked in an enclosed space or garage.
  • Install a battery-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and change the batteries every six months.
  • Always get your major appliances such as generator, air conditioner, pressure washer or any gasoline powered engine installed and serviced regularly by reputable professionals.
  • Always run a vehicle, generator, air conditioner, pressure washer or any gasoline powered engine at a distance of more than 20 feet from a ventilating window or door.
  • Avoid using lanterns, camping stove and grill inside a home, garage or tent.

How can you prevent leaving the car running in the garage?

While it’s probably not realistic to change the vehicle systems or replace the keyless ignition buttons with traditional keyholes, you can still take cautious measures to prevent CO poisoning and avoid health hazards. For starters, whether the car windows are rolled up or the garage door is open, you should still avoid running the car inside a garage or enclosed space.

In case you or your loved ones get carbon monoxide poisoning due to a keyless ignition vehicle or due to the improper installation of a home appliance, it is advised that you visit an emergency room immediately and contact Abramowitz, Pomerantz & Morehead, P.A. as soon as possible. Click here to contact us about your carbon monoxide related case today.