Hazards of Keyless Car Ignitions
Broward: 954-572-7200 | Miami-Dade: 305-949-7100 | Palm Beach: 561-833-5544

News / Blog

Hazards of Keyless Car Ignitions: Are They Too Dangerous?

They are designed to simplify the driving experience.

Push a button rather than turn a key.

But recent fatalities, including this past weekend in Boca Raton, Fla., in which drivers left the car running and died of carbon monoxide poisoning, have highlighted whether keyless ignition cars are safe.

Adele and Mort Victor were found dead in their bedroom. Their keyless ignition cars have now been impounded by police.

Mary Rivera of Long Island, N.Y., escaped with her life after leaving her Toyota running in her garage in 2009 but her husband died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

“The ignition didn’t turn off,” Rivera said. “I was very familiar with the car. I drove it every day. I don’t know. I thought I turned it off but apparently I didn’t.”

She was saved by her brother, John, who was worried when he didn’t hear from her. “I thought she was dead. I rushed to her and was yelling at her and shaking her to have some response,” John Rivera said.

Read more: http://gma.yahoo.com/hazards-keyless-car-ignitions-too-dangerous-044142423–abc-news.html